July 3rd, 1864:
General Sherman entered Marietta and established his headquarters in the Kennesaw House and ordered his forces to continue the pursuit of the Confederates and attempt to engage them no matter what the cost of men and material. They must press their advantage while the Confederates are retreating.
The Kennesaw House saw many uses during the war. Early in the war, Andrews and a few of conspirators, stayed here the night before they stole a train attempted to destroy the railroad that was supplying the Confederate Army. It was also used as a hospital at one point as well as a Sherman’s Headquarters. Now it is a museum well worth the visit.